Directions: There are some incomplete sentences in this part. Beneath each sentence you will see four choices marked A, B, C and D. Choose the ONE answer that best completes the sentence and mark your answer on the Answer Sheet.
1. German, spoken by just over 100 million people, is one of the world’s ten-largest languages _ _ population.
A. in place of
B. by means of
C. in terms of
D. by way of
解析：【原文：16.The Germanic Languages日耳曼语系：German,spoken by just over 100,000,000 people,is one of the world’s ten-largest languages in terms of population.】选C
2. Four score and seven years ago our fathers __ on this continent a new nation.
A. brought out
B. brought forth
C. brought about
D. brought up
解析：【原文：20. If Lincoln Had Used a Computer 如果林肯使用过计算机……：Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent a new nation,conceived in Liberty,and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.】选B
3. The taxi had to because the traffic light had turned red.
A. set up
B. catch up
C. shut up
D. pull up
解析：【模拟题一第20题：出租车不得不停下来因为红灯亮了。pull up停下：The car pulled up at the school gate. 车子在校门口停下来。A. set up 建立：set up a school建立一所学校。B. catch up（with）赶上：catch up with his classmates赶上他的同学。C. shut up闭嘴。】选D
4. There are no extremes of temperature on South Island. Summers are warm, not hot, and winters are brisk __ freezing.
A. in spite of
B. other than
C. rather than
D. regardless of
解析：【原文：18.The Delights of South Island 南岛之乐：Summers are warm,not hot,and winters are brisk rather than freezing.】选C
5. After we had been in the village for a few months, we so liked it that we decided to settle there
A. in turn
B. for good
C. as usual
D. at most
解析：【模拟题二第1题：在这个村庄住了几个月后，我们便如此喜欢它以至于决定在那儿永久定居下来。for good永久地：He left his hometown forgood and never came back. 他永久地离开了故乡，再也没回来过。A. in turn轮流；依次：They speak in turn at the meeting. 他们在会上依次发言。C. as usual像往常一样：As usual, he has lunch at this small restaurant. 像往常一样，他在这家小饭馆吃午饭。D. at most 最多：There are 10 minutes at most to go. 最多还有10分钟。】选B
6. Generous public funding of basic science would __ considerable benefits for the country’s health, wealth and security.
A. result from
B. lie in
C. lead to
D. figure out
解析：【1999年全国英语四级原题result from 从....导致结果；lie in 睡懒觉；lead to 引导/领导；figure out算出;想出】选C
7. Although I spoke to him many times, he never took any __ of what I said.
解析：【阿坤个人建议选A，take notice of 注意，留心】
8. Our company decided to __ the contract because a number of the conditions in it had not been met.
解析：【模拟题四第8题：我们公司决定取消合同，因为很多条款没有满足。cancel the contract意为“废止合同”】选D
9. We’ll visit Australia next year __ we have enough money.
10. Scientists are about the formation of coal.
解析：【原文46.Oil（油）:Scientists are confident about the formation of coal,but they do not seem so sure when asked about oil.】选C
11. William Penn, the founder of Pennsylvania, __ defended the right of every citizen to freedom of choice in religion.
12. The Great Wall is a famous tourist----- , drawing millions of visitors every year.
13. Purchasing the new production line will be a __ deal for the corporation.
14. He felt a bit because her life seemed completely out of balance.
15. Some people wait for__ to come knocking. Some people sought it out.
解析：【原文：12.Taking chances,Making chances 抓住机遇，制造机遇：Some people wait for opportunity to come knocking.】选B